Workshops Collide

For this term, I decided to do a joint project between Woodshop and my Digital Fabrication workshop. In Woodshop we learned how to use a miter saw, table saw, belt sander, and other various tools. In Digital Fabrication we created 3D objects and learned how to slice them. We then learned how to create an SVG and cut it out using the silhouette cutter. I new thing I learned to do was take an SVG and use it to create a carving on wood using the Carvey. This was a useful skill to learn as I had chosen to make a jewelry box in the woodshop and was struggling to find a way to decorate it. 

CH. "Rip Cut." Youtube, 2022.

After learning about the Carvey I wanted to carve something on almost every side of my box. This was a bit drastic as I did spend most of Digital Fabrication designing things to put on the remaining sides of the box. Before I was to permanently etch the designs in, I tested it out on a piece of scrap wood. This did not go as planned as I had very fine details and changed to a smaller drill bit size last minute, once the machine started I did end up breaking two separate drill bits trying to find the right size for my design. 

I choose this specific design because it is connected to Catholicism and has Celtic history surrounding its origin. The design is called a Holy Trinity. 

CH. "Scrapwood with designs." iPhone, 2022.

I will say I struggled in completing this project. My first major decision was choosing what piece of wood I would use, and there were so many options to choose from! In the end, I choose a hardwood that was very heavy. 

Now that I have some experience with woodworking, I would say there are a few things I would do differently. I would definitely not over-sand my pieces. When I did this it cause a gap between some of the angles and neighboring pieces. I would have also remembered how the kerf can affect pieces when cutting on the table saw and miter saw. Sometimes I did not take the kerf into account and I ended up cutting off more product than I should have. Things that went well were that I was able to go throughout this whole project without getting a splinter. 

CH. "Jewelry Box." iPhone, 2022.



Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly Sloth

Space Debris Science Conference

Coraline's Closet: The How-To Guide