Me and my ADHD

Welcome to my second action project for Disease. We just wrapped up our second unit called Mind. In Mind, we looked at the brain and focused different parts of the brain. Our main resource was the DMX-V file which is a textbook that has a long list of mental illnesses, including their symptoms. This book is often used by medical professionals when studying mental illnesses. In this unit, we looked into different mental illnesses specially autism and we chose one that we wanted to research on our own. We looked deeply into autism and read a book by Naoki Nigashida called, The Reason I Jump. I chose to research attention deficit hyperactivity disorder (ADHD). I made a simulation and did a lot of research on what it's like to live with ADHD.

ADHD

The scientific definition for ADHD is, "ADHD is a neurodevelopmental disorder defined by impairing levels of inattention, disorganization, and/or hyperactivity-impulsivity." My definition is that someone with ADHD has "differences in brain activity and development than other people which affects attention, the ability to sit still, and self-control." Attention-deficit/hyperactivity disorder (ADHD) is one of the most common mental disorders affecting children. ADHD also affects many adults. Symptoms of ADHD include inattention (not being able to keep focus), hyperactivity (excess movement) and impulsivity (acts that occur in the moment without thought). 

Some parts of the brain that are affected by ADHD are the frontal lobe, frontal cortex, the basal ganglia, the limbic system, and the reticular activating system. The front cortex controls things like attention, executive functioning, and organization. The frontal lobe is the area responsible for problem solving, memory, language, motivation, judgment, impulse control, social behavior, planning, decision-making, attention, ability to delay gratification, and time perception. The limbic system regulates our emotions and attention. In ADHD there is a deficiency in the basal ganglia which can cause inattention and impulsivity. In ADHD there is also a deficiency in the reticular activating system which can cause inattention, impulsivity, and hyperactivity.

According to the DSM-V, the 3 criteria used for diagnosing ADHD are as followed:
  1. Often does not follow through on instructions and fails to finish schoolwork, chores, or duties in the workplace (e.g., loses focus, side-tracked). 
  2. Often loses things necessary for tasks and activities (e.g. school materials, pencils, books, tools, wallets, keys, paperwork, eyeglasses, mobile telephones).
  3. Often fidgets with or taps hands or feet, or squirms in seat.
For this project I interviewed my mom and dad about ADHD. I believe my mom was a good person to interview because she helped get my dad diagnosed with ADHD, as well as my younger sister and I as well. I believe my dad was a good person to interview because he spent his entire childhood and young adult life dealing with ADHD, but was just recently diagnosed. My definition was inspired by my interview with my parents and my own personal experience with ADHD.

“It is annoying because everything gets distracted. You start one project and its easily to get to… see I can’t think I have things in my head, a race in my head, racing thoughts, a lot of things. Its hard to sleep sometimes because I can’t turn off my mind,” JH. What I got from this interview was that it is very had for some people with ADHD to do things like stay motivated to do things for a long time, stay on task, control mood, following through on things, and concentrate with all of the racing thoughts. Someone with this disease might have a hard time focusing on stuff and paying attention during long talks. They might get overwhelmed when there is a lot of information being thrown at them. 

CH. "ADHD flyer." Piktochart, 2020.
CH. "ADHD flyer." Piktochart, 2020.


We were required to make sort of a simulation of our chosen disease to go with this lesson to help the audience empathize with people who have this disorder. I chose to create a video that simulates what is like to have ADHD. 

  
CH. "ADHD Simulation." Youtube, 2020. 


Overall, this project was very fun. I had a interesting time learning about a disorder that that I had been diagnosed with a couple of years ago. I learned a lot of things that I did not already know about this disorder. It was really fun making and editing the ADHD simulation. I believe my video did a good job empathizing what ADHD might be for some individuals. Thank you for taking time to look at my project and stay safe.

Sources Cited: 
Aacap. “ADHD & the Brain.” American Academy of Child & Adolescent Psychiatry, Aacap, Feb. 2017, www.aacap.org/AACAP/Families_and_Youth/Facts_for_Families/FFF-Guide/ADHD_and_the_Brain.aspx.

CH. “ADHD Visual.” PIKTOCHART, 2020, create.piktochart.com/output/46980946-my-visual.

“Data and Statistics About ADHD.” Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, Centers for Disease Control and Prevention, 15 Oct. 2019, www.cdc.gov/ncbddd/adhd/data.html.

Holland, Kimberly, et al. “ADHD Numbers: Facts, Statistics, and You.” ADD Resource Center, 24 Oct. 2017, www.addrc.org/adhd-numbers-facts-statistics-and-you/.

Morin, Amanda. “8 Common Myths About ADHD.” Understood.org, Understood, 17 Apr. 2020, www.understood.org/en/learning-thinking-differences/child-learning-disabilities/add-adhd/common-myths-about-adhd.

Parekh, Ranna. “What Is ADHD?” American Psychiatric Association, APA, July 2017, www.psychiatry.org/patients-families/adhd/what-is-adhd.

Silver, Larry, and ADHD Editorial Board. “The Neuroscience of the ADHD Brain.” ADDitude, 23 Apr. 2020, www.additudemag.com/neuroscience-of-adhd-brain/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly Sloth

Space Debris Science Conference

Coraline's Closet: The How-To Guide