A Global Pandemic, Our National Epidemic

In my class called Art of Rhetoric, we studied how speech, presentation, and body language affects how people interpret a speaker. In order to make a rhetorical analysis, you must study the context, speaker, genre, occasion, and especially the audience. There are different rhetorical appeals too, that go into any rhetorical speech or situation. There are three kinds of rhetorical appeals. These are logos, which appeals to logic, ethos, appealing to the credibility of the speaker; trust, and finally pathos, which appeals to the emotions. For our Action Project, we had to create a speech for a candidate that was up for election in our government. I choose Dick Durbin because has been a senator for Illinois for some time now. He is currently up for reelection, so this video is based on how I think he should respond if someone asks him questions specific to gun violence.

CH. "Rhetoric AP1." Youtube, 2020.


Question: "You say you favor an “assault weapon” ban, but most murders in the U.S. are committed using handguns. Do you have a separate plan to address gun violence (which occurs daily)?"

Response:
Thank you so much for your question. And yes I would just like to say that even during the Covid-19 pandemic, we are still dealing with a gun violence epidemic. That is why I have been saying to treat gun violence like the public health crisis it is. I have introduced bills to help curb gun violence. Sadly this year alone, a total of 520 people were shot and killed in Chicago, including 38 children. I have three children and six grandchildren, and in 2008 I lost my daughter. I know how it feels to lose a child. I would never want anyone to go through the same thing. That is why I have joined colleagues to help introduced new legislation that will help break the cycle of urban gun violence. We will be doing this by helping to build safer communities. This includes things like evidence based street outreach programs which have already been proven to help reduce crimes. Please check out my website which has other issues that I am very outspoken about. On my website there is also legislation that I have passed or am trying to currently pass. That is all the time we have tonight thank you very much. Vote Dick Durbin for Illinois Senator.



Durbin Joins Colleagues To Introduce New Legislation To Help Break The Cycle Of Urban Gun Violence: U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois.” Press Release | Press Releases | Newsroom | U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, 25 Oct. 2019.
Durbin: Congress Must Stand Up to Gun Sales Lobby & Act to Prevent the Next Mass Shooting: U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois.” Press Release | Press Releases | Newsroom | U.S. Senator Dick Durbin of Illinois, 21 Feb. 2018.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly Sloth

Space Debris Science Conference

Coraline's Closet: The How-To Guide