Respect Makes the World Go Round

My current humanities class this term is called "Who Am I?". In this class, we are focusing on philosophy. We have learned a lot about Greek philosophers like Pythagoras, Socrates, Plato, and Aristotle. We learned the basic disciplines and theories of many Greek philosophers. We also researched the events that could influence many philosophers in their way of thinking. We also had an FE guest come in and talk to us about behaviorism. Our FE guest was a professional dog trainer. She explained to us how the use of behaviorism is demonstrated through like training a dog to sit or lay down. She then put us through a game. The game was similar to a positive reward training that is commonly used to train dogs. I found this game to be a very helpful example to explain the philosophy of behaviorism.

To end the first unit of "Who Am I?"; my teacher has asked that every student produce a podcast. The podcast must include what I believe and what personal experience influences this belief. As well as other philosophers who possess similar beliefs. I hope you find this podcast interesting, as well as informational. Click the play button below to start my podcast.

CH. "Respect, Podcast." Soundcloud. 2019

Podcast Script Start
“Respect for ourselves guides our morals; respect for others guides our manners,” Laurence S. Hello, my name is CH. I am a high school student in Chicago. In this podcast, I will be talking about what I believe in. As well as what experiences within my life have formed this belief. Stay tuned for a personal episode of what I believe.

I believe in respect. That you should treat people the way you would want them to treat you. I have consistently been told that respect is key in any interaction between human and humans. If everyone respected each other's differences, the world would be a better place. I believe that respect is more powerful than people credit it. That respect could alter the outcome of events globally, nationally, and locally. I believe that expressing respect for yourself and others is key to enjoying a healthy and happy life. Where I learned this in life is as equally important to me as respect.

I grew up on the South side of Chicago with my five younger siblings. The neighborhood I grew up in looked picture perfect to the outsider. People within this neighborhood knew what really went on, that was prejudice, racism, homophobia, bigotry, and all of this was part of the unspeakable truth of this place that I called home. I learned that respect was rarely found within that neighborhood, between the actions of adults and kids. I saw what it truly meant when Robert F. said, “good neighbors make a huge difference in the quality of our life." As we continued to live in that neighborhood for 13 years, I met many adults and children who believed that they could treat others however they wanted because of their parent's occupation, or where they went to school, or which neighborhood you lived in. I saw adults harass children because of the color of the child’s skin. I witnessed children harass other kids because they learned that as long as you have some reasoning behind your actions, then their actions were justified. My mom saw how harming the neighborhood undoubtedly was, so she decided it was time to do something about it. She refused to send us to the neighborhood public and private schools. Therefore, I spent all of my school days immersed within a diverse neighborhood, culture, and environment. Within that new diverse neighborhood, culture, and environment, is where I believe I have learned the most about the true meaning of respect.

The significance of respect and self-respect in everyday life explain why philosophers, particularly in moral and political philosophy, have been interested in this concept. One philosopher who focused on respect was Immanuel Kant. Kant's theory is an example of a deontological moral theory. According to these theories, the rightness or wrongness of actions does not depend on their consequences but on whether they fulfill our life.

Therefore, I have learned that respect is important when interacting with people around me, and from different backgrounds. I believe that because of this belief, I have become a better person and activist. I have become more opened-minded when exposed to diverse cultures and ideas. My belief can never change my race or nationality, but I believe that it can help improve the lives of others who are not as privileged as I am.
Podcast Script End


Sources Cited:
Groot, Michael De. "Respect." Flickr. 7 Aug. 2015. https://www.flickr.com/photos/stayingaliveuk/20178472040.

Dillon, Robin S. “Respect.” Stanford Encyclopedia of Philosophy, Stanford University, 18 Feb. 2018, plato.stanford.edu/entries/respect/.

Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly Sloth

Space Debris Science Conference

Coraline's Closet: The How-To Guide