My Dreams

In my Humanities class, Rhetoric, we recently finished our third and final unit called Unity. In this unit, we furthered our knowledge of rhetoric and the impact it can have. We studied different situations where rhetoric has been used to inspire, unite, and bring change. We then focused on rhetorical devices. We studied different passages so that we could understand how these devices get used. For example, Common Sense by Thomas Paine was a pamphlet that continuously used rhetoric to persuade independence from Great Britain to people in the Thirteen Colonies. For this AP, we had to create a piece of artwork that expresses an issue and brings together unity. 

CH. "Collage." 2020.

I am 17 years old and as a teenager, I can tell you that life is a mess right now. With all of life's ups and downs, it can often seem as if we are just moving through life with no real purpose or goal. In order to portray how I feel, I choose to create a collage. The words and pictures I used were taken out of an issue of Teen Vogue. The collage includes words and phrases that I relate to. The pictures help to add some depth and dimension to the words that fill the page. I relate to these words and phrases as a teenager and a girl growing up currently in today's society. The words I used were extremely purposeful. I am specifically touching on the struggles that girls go through in order to accept themself. This is due to outside pressures from friends, family, and school. These are the pressure that is put on girls to conform to societal, cultural, and gender norms. This includes the backlash and victim-blaming that so many women and girls face when they speak out about sexual harassment. According to RAINN, 1 out of every 6 American women has been the victim of an attempt or completed rape. Due to the retaliation that many women get and the fear that no one will believe them just because of their gender, race, or sexuality, about 3 out of every 4 sexual assaults go unreported. This collage helps to send a message that even though life is tough, we are stronger. That we can get through this as long as we focus on our dreams and our goals ahead in life. I believe that I would want my collage to be uploaded online on Instagram. I believe that by using Instagram, a lot of people would be able to view it from all over the world. 


Sources:

“The Criminal Justice System: Statistics.” RAINN, 2020, www.rainn.org/statistics/criminal-justice-system. 

“Victims of Sexual Violence: Statistics.” RAINN, 2020, www.rainn.org/statistics/victims-sexual-violence. 


Comments

Popular posts from this blog

Slowly Sloth

Space Debris Science Conference

Coraline's Closet: The How-To Guide